We are accepting applications for a few open positions in 2018
The button below will take you to an online form that you must complete in order to be considered for a counselor position.
Please note that the form contains a section for you to describe your likely response to a number of real-life scenarios, and a section to provide two short responses to essay questions. You should prepare your answers prior to completing the form. Therefore, the questions are provided below so that you can prepare Word documents or PDF files (one for the scenarios, and one for the essay responses).
Imagine the following real-life situations and explain how you would respond as a counselor in each of these situations (Attach your answers in a separate document):
1. Four members in a cabin of ten have formed a clique. Their demeanor and language gives the impression that they think they are “cooler” than the rest of the cabin members, know their way about camp, and do not need to follow rules stipulated in the camp handbook and those communicated by you.
2. One of your counselees tells you that he/she has a hard time believing in the Islamic articles of faith and that he/she was forcefully sent to camp by parents so that he/she may salvage his/her faith.
3. It comes to your attention that a few of your counselees have gone to far in what was supposed to be a harmless prank, but then turned into a retaliation battle among the neighboring cabin. No one seems to take the blame.
Short Essay Questions
Select 2 of the 4 questions below to answer. Don’t forget to add any detail to help us understand your perspective. (Attach your answers in a separate document):
1. What one take-away do you hope your MYC campers will take from camp this year and how would your counseling contribute to that?
2. The MYC theme this year is “Inna ma’al ‘usri yusra: Indeed, with all hardship, there is ease.” What does this theme mean to you and how would you incorporate it into your counseling?
3. In the middle of a typical camp day counselors and their cabins spend together their free time. Imagine you have one hour of this free time. Describe how you would approach this free time with your counselors.
4. In your opinion, what are the qualities of a good leader?
Once you are ready, click on the button below to proceed with your application.